Please note: we do not publish middle years (ages 8-12) nor children's manuscripts.
Please do not call the office. If you would like notification that your submission has been received, send a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your submission. We will not respond to emails asking for confirmation of receipt.
- We do not accept emailed submissions.
- We only accept works by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, preferably living in Canada.
- We do not accept unsolicited full-length work of any kind.
- Query with a sample of your complete work that is not being considered by another publisher. We will not accept simultaneous or multiple submissions.
- Submit one sample to a single genre for a given submission period.
- Samples that are no longer being considered will not be returned to you, and will be shredded through a secure process.
- To enable communication, accompany all queries with a business/letter-sized self-addressed, stamped or prepaid envelope (SASE) with Canadian postage.
- All queries must contain a sample of writing and an outline of the proposed publication. See "Standard Query Material" below for sample length guidelines.
- Let us know your perceived audience and your plans for assisting in the marketing of your work.
- Submit your query as early in the submission period as possible to ensure adequate reading time is given to your work for assessment.
- We read queries in the order they are received; please be patient.
For the 2019 program the following dates in 2018 for submissions are below.
NOTE: These are deadlines and all queries must be postmarked within these dates. Work sent outside genre guidelines will not be considered.
YA NOVELS (books for teen readers)
- We are looking for full-length fiction. Please review our previous YA award winners to see what interests us.
- We do not publish picture books, poetry collections for teens, middle years (ages 8 to 12), or children's manuscripts.
- Submission and reading dates are February 1 through May 1.
FICTION (novels and short story collections)
- We do not publish romance, science fiction, horror, westerns, or fiction in verse.
- Submission and reading dates are August 1 through September 30.
POETRY (single-author collections only)
- Please review our previous poetry titles to see what interests us.
- We do not publish cowboy poetry, inspirational poetry, or poetry for children.
- Submission and reading dates are November1 through December 31.
NEW LEAF SPECIAL FIRST-BOOK POETRY PROGRAM
See New Leaf Submission Guidelines. NEW LEAF QUERIES AND SUBMISSIONS FOR 2019 ARE NOW CLOSED.
- Cover letter with relevant contact information.
- Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope (SASE) with Canadian postage. Business/letter size only.
- Novel samples should include a significant representative sampling of multiple chapters or sections (ie. 2-3 chapters) that highlight form and style.
- Short fiction samples should include two to three stories that demonstrate the collection’s audience target and subject range.
- Poetry samples should include a representative selection of 10 to 15 poems from the complete collection.
- A brief biographical note that tells of any relevant writing experience or significant recent publications. Do not include any information older than five years.
- You should ensure that all written material is submitted on traditional 8 1/2" X 11" paper, double-spaced and in black print, in a 12 pt. Times New Roman typeface.
- Do not include materials other than what is requested.
Send queries and submissions to:
Thistledown Press Ltd.
410 2nd Avenue North
Saskatoon, SK S7K 2C3
Tel: (306) 244-1722
Fax: (306) 244-1762